Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tutorial: Big Choppas in a Pinch!

Some may wonder when opening a box of Ork Boyz and surveying your Nob options: "Where da BIG Choppas?!" Unlike the Nobz kit, the Ork Boyz kit does not offer any bits for the two-handed Big Choppas. Through some quick converting and readily available bits, I've converted these regular Nob-sized Choppas into Big Choppas.



With the bits offered to me in the Ork Boyz kit, I combined Nob Choppa arms and Choppas from the other Boyz Choppa arms (with the amount you get from both left and right arms in the kit, you should have extras.).

Cutting the Choppa handle right above the hand the hand gives you a decent amount of length to work with, then if need be, you can cut down from there if you want a shorter handle. Then I cut off the choppa blade and shaved it down to make it cylindrical. (2nd Nob displays that best). One some, I decided to fashion a hook from the axe blade, cutting it down until I saw fit. (1st Nob.)

Be sure to mind the thickness of the handle and ensure they match for the most part so it doesn't look too hodgepodge. As always, be sure to cut off any bits and nubs on the bottom of the Nob Choppa and get a smooth flat cut on your ends.



Above are some of the Big Choppa painted. Like all my metal, I started off with a base of Tin Bitz, then drybrushing Boltgun Metal over that, then finishing with a highlight of Mithril Silver, though Chainmail works just as fine.

In addition to Choppas, I also used other bits such as knives and Stikkbombs, all of which in the Ork Boyz Kit. This method is also ideal for converting Nobz from the AoBR Starter set, as they are quick fit models and are not readily customizable.

Have fun and happy modeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment